Day 6: Five Minute Fitness
So, we’ve cleared our space, our schedules, and our minds, now it’s time for a little tune-up of the ol’ bod.
Just exercising as little as 5-minutes a day canmake a substantial impact on your overall health. For many of us, gone are the days of hours at the gym to hit the machines or enjoy a class. Most of us are juggling serious careers, kids, spouses, friends, family and several commitments. But even YOU have 5 minutes a day to do something good for yourself.
Why not fine-tune your fitness today? Here’s how…
Look for opportunities to squeeze in exercise – before you jump in the shower,while you’re waiting for the kids to eat, while you’re waiting for your pasta water to boil, in between meetings, during your lunch break, while waiting in a long line, etc. There are many opportunities throughout the day while we’re killing 5 minutes that you can use to exercise.
Here are a couple of exercises that you can do in 5-minutes or less:
1. Leg lifts – stand with your legs parallel, lift your right leg back and squeeze your buns. Do this 20+ times and switch to the other leg. I do this one all the time while I wait in line at the grocery store, the bank, anywhere really. It’s kind of discreet and plus it keeps weirdos from encroaching on your space while you wait in line. This lengthens and strengthens your legs while toning the tush.
2. Push-ups – (full or half) – these work the chest, shoulders, chest, triceps, back and core.
3. Pull-ups & Chin-ups – full disclosure, I never do these but my husband bought one of those hideous contraptions that hooks to the top of the doorway. Pull-ups and chin-ups work the upper body and if you can perform 1 pull-up and 2 chin-ups in 5-minutes a day, you will transform your arms and chest quickly. While the machine might not be lovely, my husband’s chest certainly is!
4. Squats – I dread squats but they are a powerhouse for toning the legs. There’s no question that when I do them regularly, my legs and buns firm up super quickly. Squats work out your core, quads, hamstrings and calves.
5. Run – grab your iPod and put on a favorite song or two. Take a run outside or jog in place for 5 minutes. You’ll relieve stress, tone your legs and feel refreshed.
My favorite fast full-body workout though is yoga. Here’s a 5-minute yoga practice that works out your entire body. Whenever I’m pressed for time, I’ll do this series for 5 minutes and within days my muscles are toned and more defined…not to mention it clears my mind, gives me time to breathe and helps me start the day refreshed and focused.
Here’s why getting daily exercise at all is important and 5 minutes of exercise is enough to reap these benefits:
- When you exercise regularly, you’ll end up being more energized. Exercising develops your muscles and tones them too so that don’t have to work as hard to function well. This process increases your energy level.
- When you exercise, you build more muscle and muscle burns more calories. Because of this, you’ll end up burning calories even when you aren’t exercising.
- Usually, with regular exercise, you’ll lose weight and sculpt your body.
- Even low-impact exercise can help enhance cardiovascular health.
It doesn’t take a lot of time or energy to exercise 5-minutes a day so just go for it! Your body and mind will thank you.