Crock-pot Apricot Chicken
This recipe was barely altered from Paleo In PDX, it was so dang good! Check out their website in the link at the bottom of the recipe card.
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tsp pastured butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphered dried apricots, halved
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper, and brown on both sides for a couple minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt more butter if needed. Add the onion and saute a few minutes, until it becomes translucent.
- Stir in ginger, garlic, cinnamon and allspice. Cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook a few minutes longer, until heated through. Pour mixture into slow cooker and add the dried halved apricots. Place chicken on top of the mixture and cover.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4.
- When done, shred the chicken with two forks and mix together.
By Thyroid Loving Care. Adapted from Paleo In PDX