Crock-pot Apricot Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tsp pastured butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphered dried apricots, halved
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper, and brown on both sides for a couple minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt more butter if needed. Add the onion and saute a few minutes, until it becomes translucent.
- Stir in ginger, garlic, cinnamon and allspice. Cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook a few minutes longer, until heated through. Pour mixture into slow cooker and add the dried halved apricots. Place chicken on top of the mixture and cover.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4.
- When done, shred the chicken with two forks and mix together.