Fermented Beet & Apple Slaw
- 3 large large apples (about 1 ½ pounds, cored but not peeled)
- 2 large beets (about 1 ½ pounds, peeled)
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tbsp unrefined sea salt
- Shred apples and beets in a food processor or by hand.
- Toss the shredded apples and beets together until well-combined and mixed together.
- Add the star anise, whole cloves and salt to the apples and beetroot. Combine well.
- In a mason jar or vegetable fermenter pack in mixture.
- Mash with a wooden spoon or mallet to encourage the fruit and vegetables to release their juices and encourage bacterial growth.
- Ferment in for a minimum of three to four days, or longer, depending on the level of warmth in your kitchen.