Marinated Beef Brisket
- 2/3 cup quartered dried apricots (about 4 ounces)
- 9 large garlic cloves
- 3 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 14 - 1/2 to 5 lb flat-cut beef brisket
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups homemade beef stock or canned low-salt beef broth
- 2/3 cup pitted prunes, quartered
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine 1/3 cup apricots, 3 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in food processor. Pulse to chop mixture into a coarse puree.
- Using small sharp knife, make 1/2-inch-deep slits all over brisket. Press apricot mixture into slits.
- Heat oil in heavy large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, ginger, coriander, cayenne pepper, remaining 6 garlic cloves and 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced almost to glaze, stirring up any browned bits, about 5 minutes.
- Put brisket into crock pot. Add prunes, apricots, stock and vegetable mixture over brisket.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 8 hours.
- Take brisket out of crock pot and slice brisket thinly across grain.
- If you want, you can bring sauce left in the pot to boil over medium-high heat. Boil to thicken slightly, if desired.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Arrange sliced brisket in large ovenproof dish. Spoon sauce over.
- Top with cilantro and serve.