Spiced Marinated Olives
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- grated orange peel from 2 oranges
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz assorted brine-cured green and black olives (I just go to the Whole Foods olive bar and have at it!)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 8 oz feta cheese (or non-dairy cheese), cut into 1/2 inch squares (Optional)
- Ok, you can do this one of two ways.
- You can (1) Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and put in the fridge or...
- Or (2) Heat all the spices (cumin, coriander, and crushed red pepper) in heavy small skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Transfer to warmed spices to a bowl.
- Add oil, garlic, orange peel, basil and cilantro and stir to combine.
- Mix in olives.
- Gently stir in feta or non-dairy cheese (or no cheese).
- Cover and refrigerate for a 2 hours or overnight.
*This dish gets even better the longer it marinates! I make it 1-2 days ahead when I have the chance but it can be made up to a week in advance.