You’ve known it for a while, but you’re finally ready to make the commitment: You’re ready to quit sugar and detox your body from this harmful chemical. You’re going to kick-start your journey back to health by detoxing this pesky, highly-addictive, pervasive ingredient so you can let your body know you’re ready to heal.
It’s an amazing decision, and one your body will thank you for. Limiting sugar reduces inflammation, helps your body balance blood sugar levels, keeps insulin and leptin resistance at bay, decreases digestive troubles, reduces brain fog, and helps you metabolize better so you can lose weight and improve your mood!
So many of you have been emailing or posting with questions about sugar detox and candida So let’s get down to what works.
What you need:
- A sugar detox plan
- An accountability partner or community
Sugar Detox Plans:
I’ve got two favorite plans when it comes to sugar detox – Sarah Wilson’s, I Quit Sugar plan & Diane Sanfilippo’s 21-Day Sugar Detox program. They are both effective and really it’s a just a personal choice as to which plan resonates with you the most.
I found the I Quit Sugar plan to be more gentle. It takes 6 weeks to do vs. 3 weeks and is perfect for the person who is terrified to start a sugar detox. If you get overwhelmed just at the thought of changing your diet, this is the plan for you.
Diane Sanfillipo’s 21-Day Sugar Detox program, on the other hand, is for the person who is already ready following a Paleo protocol or wants to follow one. I love this program because there are 3 levels you can choose from, easy cheat sheets for what you can and can’t eat at each level and it helps you jumpstart into Paleo.
I bought both programs and followed bits of both simultaneously. I didn’t take any of the supplements recommended in the 21 Day Sugar Detox for no other reason than I was already on a host of supplements and didn’t want to add more to the bunch.
Point is: You can’t go wrong with either of these awesome home detox programs.
Now, often times when my clients start a sugar detox, they also start to freak out a bit! As you’re detoxing, emotions, cravings, and hunger rise to the top. Your mood may fluctuate. BUT, you’re doing a great thing – as weight melts away and as your blood sugar balances, you’re giving your body the space it needs to heal. In that space sometimes, suppressed emotions will arise which is AWESOME (albeit temporarily uncomfortable) You’re doing wonders for your body and mind by eliminating these toxic elements.
I’m not going to sugar-coat this: It’s not exactly easy as pie, but it is so worth it.
For the most part, I’ve been able to keep to a very low sugar meal plan but in the beginning, I took a major ride on the sugar roller coaster. You can read about my early challenges with sugar detox here.
Are you in?
It’s amazing the power sugar can have over your mind. Have you ever quit sugar before? Are you still sugar-free? What are your favorite tips for keeping sugar cravings at bay? Tell us in the comments below!
If you’re ready to detox your body and want even more support on your healing journey, check out my resources on healing your thyroid naturally, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the righthand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
Although these things can be challenging, taking small, daily steps to detox will do wonders for your health–body and mind!
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.