When the weather turns cold and the holiday madness picks up, I love to make simple crockpot stews to keep my family warm, grounded and well-nourished. Here’s one of our family favorites for a heart brisket!
Crock Pot Brisket & Spiced Apricots
- Slow cooker / Crock Pot
- Food processor
- ⅔ cup quartered dried apricots (about 4 ounces)
- 9 large garlic cloves
- 3 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4½ to 5 lbs flat-cut beef brisket
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 medium carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups homemade beef stock or canned low-salt beef broth
- ⅔ cup pitted prunes quartered
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Combine 1/3 cup apricots, 3 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in food processor. Pulse to a coarse puree.
- Place brisket fat side down. Using small sharp knife, make 1/2-inch-deep slits all over brisket.
- Press apricot mixture into slits.
- Transfer brisket fat side down and place into crock pot.
- Sprinkle brisket with salt, pepper, cumin. coriander, cayenne pepper (optional)
- Add onions, carrots, ginger, remaining 6 garlic cloves and prunes to the slow cooker.
- Add wine and beef stock to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 hours on low if you're running out the door (or 1 hour on high and 6 hours on low if you have the time)
- Serve and top with chopped fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, there’s more where that came from! In addition to all the delicious recipes offered on the blog, I also provide a ton of resources on healing, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the righthand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
Remember, no matter what diagnosis you’re facing, you always have a choice. Keep your chin up and take small daily action and you can heal and have a normal life again!
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.